Interested in volunteering? Please email us for an application. When emailing, please indicate whether you are a local resident interested in being a day volunteer, or you are not from the area and are interested in being a residential volunteer.
As a working organic farm we welcome volunteers especially through WWOOF and WorkAway organizations.
WWOOF, an organization that links people who want to volunteer on organic farms or smallholdings with people who are looking for volunteer help.
WORKAWAY, a website that promote fair exchange between budget travelers, language learners or culture seekers who can stay with families, individuals or organizations that are looking for help with a range of varied and interesting activities.
We accept volunteers all year round for various amounts of time; however, like most farms we need the most help from April through October.
- Training for those new to gardening
- Hands-on animal husbandry training
- Free attendance at our programs and workshops (if space is available)
- Free room and board in exchange for 20 to 40 hours of work per week (varies depending on time of year)
- Grocery money so that you may purchase food you prefer (for volunteers staying longer than a week)
- Transportation to and from town weekly arranged by staff (for volunteers with no other transportation)
- Opportunities to enjoy many of the amenities Heartland Farm has to offer
Type of Work
*Please know that work opportunities may vary depending upon the season
- yard maintenance
- barn duties
- assisting with programs and special events
- occasional meal preparation (for those who know how to cook)
- repairs and other odd jobs in which the volunteer is skillful
Volunteers stay in a space with two apartments that have individual kitchens, shared bathrooms, a larger community room and community kitchen.
The Farm hosts a community lunch (for those staying at the farm) each weekday at noon (vegetarian diets accommodated – please be sure to let us know of any food allergies). You will be provided with other groceries, or a way to get your own groceries, for morning and evening meals and weekends.
Washing machines and clothes lines for drying are available as often as needed.
A weekly farm meeting is held each Monday at 1 pm to discuss the cooking schedule and work needs for the week ahead.
*Overnight volunteers are asked to check in each morning around 8:30 am Monday through Friday to discuss the day’s work.
Because the Farm is already home to a few human-loving dogs, outside pets (specifically pets of volunteers) cannot be accommodated. Non-Farm pets are not allowed in any of our buildings. Please note that while our dogs are friendly, they are quite territorial and not welcoming to other animals.
We also welcome “Day” volunteers from the local area, both individuals and groups. Volunteers who are here over the noon hour are invited to join us for lunch. Whether you are looking for a one-time service project or a regular volunteer commitment, we would be happy to have your help!
*If you have any other questions regarding volunteering at Heartland Farm please contact us via email or give us a call at 620-923-4585.